Constructed of aluminum, with a native 510 connector, the Lavatube is powered by one IMR 18650 battery. Voltage is adjustable from 3.0 to 6.0 volts with a 2.5 Amp limit.
You can use protected 18650 batteries, but the end cap will not sit flush with the body due to their taller size.
Lavatube Variable Voltage Mod
Controlling the Lavatube:
- 1- power button
- 1- voltage up button
- 1- voltage down button
- 1- activation button
- 1- LCD screen, which shows the current voltage the device is set on.
Lavatube Variable Voltage Mod
I find the Lavatube’s controls to be user friendly, and simple to use. While the finish was very nice, the end caps and buttons are plastic. I did have an issue regarding my end cap, but Lavatube’s support proved to be fast and responsive.
While it did take me a while to get used to the activation button, it performed flawlessly. Firing each and every time.
Overall, I was pleased with Volcano’s entry into the variable voltage market.
But how does it perform?
Testing the Lavatube
There seems to be a lot of misrepresented statistics regarding the performance of the Lavatube online, so I decided to do a little investigative work…to find out the real deal.
The following table represents the data I was able to measure with equipment I had on hand.
All measurements were rounded to the nearest 0.1 increment when needed, utilizing freshly charged batteries.
The Ohms for atomizers & cartomizers were measured with a multimeter. The wattage is calculated with the formula: Watts = (Volts x Volts)/Ohms.
After taking my readings, I dialed in @ 6.0 volts with my 3.2 Ohm tank, giving me 11.25 Watts of vaping power. My battery started off with 4.2, and died at 3.2 Volts. The following table is representative of what I measured while vaping the Lavatube.
Vaping until the battery died @ 3.2 battery Volts, I noticed that the voltage during my testing was regulated within -1.1 volts. I set it at 6.0 and ended at 4.9 volts before the battery died.
What I think of the Lavatube
The Lavatube performs as expected…as long as your cartomizer/atomizer is 3.0 Ohms or more:
- This device will give over 10 Watts of power, depending on the Ohms of cartomizer/atomizer used.
- My measurements proved that this device runs on a 2.5 Amp limit.
- Voltage claims of 3.0 to 6.0 are obtainable with a load with 3.2 Ohms.
While the Lavatube’s regulated voltage output was not as consistent as some of the other, more expensive V.V. mods, for the price, it holds its own.
The one thing I didn’t like about the Lavatube, is the end cap. The threads were rough, and after only a week of use, my end cap became stuck within the body. It took so much force to remove it, that the plastic end broke off.
This mod’s threads definitely need a film of Noalox, or another thread lubricant.
I had contacted Volcano Support about my issue with the end cap, and within six hours during a weekend, I received a reply that they would send me a replacement.
- Construction – Body is made of aluminum.
- Simplicity- The controls are simple to use.
- Price – A very reasonable price for a variable volt device.
- Customer Service – Very responsive, and quick to address any issues.
- End Cap – Threads are not the best…be prepared to use noalax, or another lubricant for your threads.
- Buttons – Made of plastic, long term use dependability is unknown.
Final notes on the Lavatube from Volcano
Not the best, nor the worst variable voltage pv mod..but for the price, it is hard to beat.
- Name: Lavatube
- Price: $69.99 (Body Only) $99.99 (kit)
- Type: Variable Volt adjustable from 3.0v – 6.0v
- Battery: Uses one 18650 Flat Nosed IMR High Drain Battery
- Connector Type: 510
- Body: Constructed from aluminum.
- Warranty: One year for manufacturing defects.
- Short Circuit/Atomizer Protection. The LAVATUBE can recognize an atomizer with too low of a resistance for the current voltage setting and will drop the voltage to 3.7v to protect both the battery and atomizer. If the atomizer is too low or shorted out it will shut off power to the device to protect the LAVATUBE from being damaged.
- Battery Monitoring/Over-Discharge Protection – The device will monitor the battery voltage and automatically turn off when the battery is discharged, preventing damage to the battery by overly depleting it.
- Reverse Battery protection
- 10 second cut off time protection.
Bottom Line: The Lavatube provides an inexpensive alternative to variable voltage vaping for those on a budget.