Red Sky Mods, aka, Capt’ Brian on the E Cigarette Forums, currently offers two models of the extremely popular variable voltage wooden box mods. Designated as the Mark-7 “Destroyer” and the Mark-8 “Dreadnought”. Both mods run on a pair of 16340/CR123 size batteries (Protected or AW IMR), have a 510 atty connector, and provide a voltage display.
You have the choice of a .75 inch diameter inset tank “well”, or top mounted atomizer for the Destroyer, while the Dreadnought is a 6ml bottom feeder.
Though sales are offered at the Captain’s website, the vast majority are sold through the E-Cigarette Forums Red Sky Mods thread long before they get a chance to be listed at Red Sky Mods.
Base price of either mod is $180, while engraving will add another $35. Red Sky Mods are available with numerous options, which can be found at the E-Cigarette Forums, or Red Sky Mods website.
I lucked out, and was able to purchase a Destroyer tank mod for $184.30, after tax and shipping. This was after a 10% discount because I am an ECF member.
To be honest, this was the first time I experienced “buyers remorse” following the purchase of a mod.
Whatever doubts I had quickly vanished once I received my Red Sky Mods Destroyer!
Red Sky Mods
Specifications of my Destroyer:
- Mahogany body with Zebrawood end pieces
- Dimensions 4.6″ x 2″ x 1″
- Tank well inset 1″ deep
- Solid body construction
- Softened octagon edging
- High quality switch rated at 200K cycles
- Switching regulator rated at 3 amps continuous, 25 watts
- Safety On/Off switch
- Requires two 16340 / CR123 type batteries, stacked
- 510 style atomizer connector
- Mini screwdriver included
- 7 day money-back policy and a 3 month parts warranty
What I think of the Red Sky Mods Destroyer
Not only is this mod absolutely gorgeous, you can’t help but admire the attention to detail. The inside cuts are sharp, precise, and very clean.
Everything is expertly encapsulated within the mod itself. The voltage meter, on/off switch, even a tiny screw driver for adjusting the voltage, not to mention half of the tank itself.
The build quality is absolutely the best I have seen. The seams are by far the closest in tolerance of all my mods. Running my fingernail along the outside feels silky smooth between the different wood transitions.
Now I understand why I have yet to see a Red Sky Mod for sale on the ECF Classifieds!
I didn’t know if I should vape it or frame it!
Unfortunately, the end caps on my Depth Charge tank are a little too wide to use with my Destroyer. Luckily, my DCT tank fits perfectly.
After outfitting my Destroyer (of other mods), I immediately adjusted the voltage to 4.5v.
The voltage adjustment screw is inset at the bottom of the unit.
And began to vape…and admire…vape some more…and admire still more…well, I think you get the drift.
I vape my Destroyer exclusively at home (for now), I just don’t want ANYTHING to happen to it while out and about!
- Construction – This is the highest quality, hand-crafted, made in the USA wood mod I have the pleasure of owning.
- Design – I love the fact that the Mark-7 can be outfitted with an optional inset tank well.
- Attention to Detail – Just look inside…and out, and you’ll know what I mean!
- Aesthetics – Red Sky Mods are not only gorgeous, my Destroyer is well balanced in the hand as well.
- Variable Voltage – A work of art that performs flawlessly.
- Discount – Red Sky Mods offers all members of ECF a 10% discount. Simply search the forums for “red sky mods coupon code”.
- Price – At $180.00 base for both the Mark-7 Destroyer and the Mark-8 Dreadnought, Red Sky Mods may be out of reach for some. If you can afford it though, it is by far one of the best purchases you can make when it comes to PV Mods.
- Tank Well size – Some tanks may not fit. If you plan on purchasing the Destroyer with the optional tank well, make sure your tanks will fit, or simply buy one that will.
- Availability – If you are looking at purchasing a Red Sky Mod, you need to get on the waiting list found at Capt’ Brian’s ECF thread as soon as possible. You may be in for quite a wait
- I am unable to afford a second…the Mark-8 Dreadnought bottom feeder!
Final notes on the Mark-7 Destroyer Tank From Red Sky Mods
Seamless fit and finish, cuts that are clean, precise, and sharp…well balanced, and vapes awesome…the attention to detail goes above and beyond. It’s just as satisfying (almost), looking at it as vaping it. Though this mod is the priciest of my others, it is by far one of my favorites.
Now if I can only sum up the courage to carry it when I’m out and about.
Website: Red Sky Mods
ECF Thread: Red Sky Mods thread
Bottom Line: I really can’t stress this enough…if you are a perfectionist, the Red Sky Mods will have you smiling with every vape knowing you are in possession of a variable voltage wood PV constructed with the highest quality, craftsmanship, and attention to detail that I’ve seen to date.